Friday, August 26, 2005

Tech-Talk 1 - From Pagers to Mobile Phones

Don’t expect to read something too-techy…hehehe…

Before the emergence of the Mobile Phone Crazy Generation, there was the Age of Pagers…It was late-1990s when my daddy finally gave in to my whim…after all, the rest of the family has one…He gave me his old Easycall unit…I can still remember the number was 141-244813…Hahaha…

Then came more stylish models, especially from Pocketbell…So the rest of the family had to upgrade, and again, me to have a hand-me-down…Actually, I don’t mind having hand-me-downs, especially when at that time, I was one of the very few from my peers who have the same gadget. (Call me a show-off, I don’t mind ‘cause somehow I am…hehehe)

It was in 1998 when I first bought my own cellphone (the money was from my savings, harhar!) Bosch was the in thing then…I had the same unit as my sister and brother, Bosch608 (I had the black, though it has interchangeable housing tops, colored yellow, maroon and blue)…Months after, new Nokia models came out, and heck! They’re nice-looking than mine…

DIAGRAM:
EasyCall Pager (one-liner unit) →
EasyCall Pager (3-liner unit) →
Bosch608
→ Nokia 5110 → Nokia 3210
Ericsson R320
→ Nokia 7110 → Nokia 3310/3315 → Nokia 3200 → Nokia 3200 / Nokia 3650 → Nokia 3230

After my dear Bosch608, Cellular Phone Companies kept on producing better models…and people kept on upgrading their phones…They just can’t get enough! And me too! As the “Diagram” shows, I had a bunch before I bought my newest phone just last week! (It was when I was finally allowed to come out of the house…you know, viruses…)

I have saved enough money to buy myself a new phone (despite people complaining that I seldom use it anyway…), sold my Nokia 3650 (the one with the rounded keypad, very memorable since I bought it in the US, it still has the US phone network settings on it) to someone who’s going to the US (might as well use it there!) and traded-in my Nokia 3200 (the one with transparent housing, and interchangeable paper-cut designs).

Now I have my Nokia 3230…I could say, I’m happy with it, complete with all the functions I need and want to have…1.3 megapixel camera with 3x zoom, video and voice recording, cute themes, Bluetooth/infrared/pop-port connectivity, 32mb mmc, tri-band, ptt capability, fm radio and mp3 player, calendar and to-do-list, cute imaging applications and many others…

Hmm…before buying the phone, I said to myself that I would keep it longer than my other phones…especially since I chose it with all the functions I think I need…I just wish I still kept either my Nokia 3650 or my Nokia 3200 (for Sun Cellular purposes)…

To be concluded…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home